Who does this affect?
Windows users who have received Microsoft Update KB3114409 and use Microsoft Outlook 2010. Seems to be mostly the users with 32 bit Microsoft Office on 64 bit machines.
What is happening? How can I know if I am affected?
Outlook 2010 displays an error regarding Safe Mode and is unusable.
How to fix?
Microsoft recommends to uninstall the KB114409 update and reboot in order to fix this bug.
A potentially faster method to fix this was submit on Reddit by user Trulyvexed.
December 9 I applied this fix as a group policy object to ensure that in the event this glitch occurs again, it will be automatically fixed upon rebooting.
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe) as Administrator
- Open Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM)
- Navigate to the registry path of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security
- Create a new Registry Key named DisableSafeMode of type sz_DWORD
- Assign new key value to 1 as Decimal
- Repeat steps 3-5 but with the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security
- Fully close Outlook and ensure it is not running
- Open Outlook to find that the glitch is gone
Copy of original post for reference: